For the last four years, Allison and I have eaten dinner together nearly every night. There are times when we’re traveling separately or when one of us goes out with friends and the other doesn’t, but I bet:
- 80% of our dinners have been together, on the couch, watching a DVD of a) The Simpsons; b) The Golden Girls; or c) for a brief time in 2006, King of the Hill.
- 18% of our dinners have been at some restaurant, most likely Jason’s Deli.
- 2% of our dinners have been eaten without one another.
We talked this morning about how we’d like to approach the project and here’s what we’ve decided:
- We’ll promise to eat dinner with one another every night for the month of February. If we can’t do dinner, we’ll try to eat another meal together the same day. If we can’t do that, we’ll try to at least contact one another and have a conversation.
- No TV during dinner, but music is okay.
- A table constitutes any sort of beacon for hungry-minded people. A firepit, for example, is a perfectly valid table.
I hope as February passes, Allison and I will laugh more, learn things we never knew about each other, try new recipes, drink good wine, and eat many meals with good friends.
Cheers to tables in general and to each of my co-experimenters!